Official Travels

EN Department Official Travels Office

Reminder COVID-19:

COVID Level 2 – Yellow on Duty Travel, please find below some further clarification regarding authorisation procedures. 

Duty Travel is allowed

Travel on behalf of CERN (including travel to perform professional activities at other institutions, as well as travel for participation in training courses) is permitted subject to the authorisation instructions below, and applicable restrictions by regulations in force at intended destination.

Authorisation for duty travel is based on the risk level of the destination

Authorisation is dependent upon the risk level assigned by France to the intended destination (

For destination countries with a risk level of GREEN, the standard approval process applies.

For destination countries with a risk level of ORANGE or RED, travel is only permitted if it is deemed essential for strategic or operational reasons by the Department Head, or the Experiment Spokespersons or Technical Coordinators. Extra authorization therefore continues to be required.

The risk levels should be checked at the time the travel is initiated, and a few days prior to the traveller’s departure to ensure the situation has not degraded.

Authorization should be attached to the TRVL (not necessary if they have signed the document) for traceability.

The COVID-19 instructions  ( and FAQ ( will be updated by HSE to reflect the above.

Opening hours

The office is open during working hours from Monday to Friday.

Preparing your Trip

A new Travel document (TRVL) is available on the EDH desktop. This single document replaces both the duty travel request (TREQ) and the Travel claim (TCLM). Please submit your travel document (TRVL) 14 days prior to departure, at the latest 48 hours before travel and collected by EN Department Official Travels. 

A duly approved travel document - prior to departure -  is mandatory to obtain the reimbursement of travel expenses.

Travellers can now book their own travel in the Traveldoo booking tool, once their duty travel is approved. 

As with any change, a transition period will be necessary. Please do not hesitate to contact, for assistance.

Rules and Guidelines in EN Department

  • Please remember that your absence must be recorded in EDH.

  • Registration fees: registration payment deadlines shall always be respected to avoid any extra costs.

  • External training must be first registered and approved within EDH before making any TRVL requests.

  • Transport tickets shall be bought through Traveldoo and their purchase anticipated. No further reimbursements of self-booked tickets will be made unless duly justified and approved.

  • Transport by CERN Cars and rental cars: Rules and Guidelines

  • Transport by Private Cars: Rules and Guidelines

  • Advance payment is no longer possible

  • Flight Tickets -> Economy class

  • Train tickets -> first class

  • Public transportation is highly recommended whenever possible

  • CERN airport shuttle service available during working days/hours

  • Travel assistance -> SOS International cards are available at EN Department Official Travels office (54/3-011)

Useful Links

CERN Airport Shuttle service

Administrative circular N. 33  - duty travel 

Admin e-guide procedure for duty travel