The Engineering Department provides CERN with the Engineering Competences, Infrastructure Systems and Technical Coordination required for the design, installation, operation, maintenance and dismantling phases of the CERN accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
The activity of the Engineering Department is in the following fields:
- Operation, maintenance and consolidation of infrastructure systems for cooling, ventilation, transport, handling and electricity distribution, as well as design and installation of infrastructure systems for the new facilities,
- Development, operation and maintenance of special accelerator components such as targets, collimators, lasers, photocathodes, radioactive beam sources and beam dumps,
- Design, modification and operation of the fixed target experimental areas and liaison with experiments as well as experiment proposals,
- Mechanical engineering and materials expertise for the design, the prototyping, the manufacturing and the assembly of accelerator and detector components,
- Expertise on computation of radiation fields in the tunnels and experimental areas using FLUKA; in this context, the study, the prototyping and the implementation of measures to limit the impact of radiation on the electronics deployed in the accelerators and its experimental areas,
- Technical Coordination for the technical stops and the shutdowns in the accelerators and experiments as well as support for day-to-day running.